I am not one to leave books unread. Yet, when I serve on the One City, One Story committee and read intensely to discuss possible titles for the One City, One Story event, the pressure is great. Often we are reading 10-15 titles in a month and a half. If I could stop my life and read, I could do it but my life is busy with work, social commitments, two large families and friends. Last year, someone mentioned The 19th Wife as a possibility. I added it to my summer reading list. After reading half of it, I decided that it was not a good candidate for this event and reluctantly put it down. I wondered if I would ever get back to this fascinating story of Ann Eliza, the controversial, rebellious 19th wife of Brigham Young. Six months later, here I am. The half-read part bothers me; I cannot discuss it fairly since I did not read it in its entirety yet it is hard to pick it up where I left off. Will it draw me in again? The page where I left is dog-eared...
A few days later...
I find myself into the life of Ann Eliza and the Mormons of Mesadale. It is fascinating fiction interwoven with historical documents so that the reader cannot tell when one begins and one ends. Tomorrow, I will finish and like all good books, I will be sad when it ends, only to pick up another book and start the process of reading and reflection again.
Worldcat
No comments:
Post a Comment