Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It is the Epiphany and all Christmas decorations (and books) are to be put away!


When I was a child, we hated to take our Christmas decorations down so we always waited until at least January 6th which marked the official end of the Christmas season.  This was the day commemorating the coming of the three magi to visit the Christ Child.  So here I am tonight, after work, making the final sweep of the house looking for red and green napkins, candles, ornaments, and other random holiday decorations that I forgot to pack up last week.  Concealed slightly under my bed are  the Christmas with Southern Living books...1994, 2003, 2004, and 2005 and The Ultimate Southern Living Christmas Book.  Once I had the "ultimate," I guess I thought it wise to cancel the automatic subscription that brought these books to my door.

I couldn't help myself.  They would come unannounced at my doorstep and all I had to do was mark it "Return to Sender" or just open it, review it and then send it back.  But they were books that drew me in with beautiful, opulent photographs of decorations suitable for Tara or other southern plantation mansions.  Great recipes, ornaments, crafts...that's all it took and I would decide to keep just one more year.


I find myself dragging them out of the Christmas box to look for a new idea or two to delight my family.  Last year, I had decided to give them to my sisters...but found I was not ready.  I love these books and even though I don't have a balustrade along a winding staircase to decorate or an inclination to make "Roasted Onions, Figs, and Smoked Sausage," I know I will enjoy opening them again next year to find things to delight. 

Worldcat
Worldcat

No comments:

Post a Comment