Monday, January 4, 2010

Books out...Sending books to a favorite daughter



As I gather the belongings of all my girls who came home for the holidays, I found a book intended for Amy.  Last November, I went to Loyola Marymount University to hear Uwem Akpan speak.  His book Say you're one of them was chosen by Oprah as a book club selection with a major webcast event.  Uwem has drawn on the oral folktales passed down in his family and tells the tales from the perspective of children.

My friend, Mary Margaret and I, enjoyed returning to our alma mater and after our tour of the new Library, we attended a reception and book signing.  The author was so gracious and friendly and when I told him, I was giving his book to my daughters for Christmas, he signed them for each one with the line, Lissa, Mom loves you!  Mindy, Mom loves you! and Amy, Mom loves you!  I also purchased another copy to donate to the college library.

Somehow in the rush of Christmas, I lost Amy's personalized copy.  I worried.  My sisters and I often reflect that when we were growing up, each of the five sisters felt like "the favorite daughter."  Our kids all think that was nice and so too, my daughters will send me a card or letter, sometimes flowers, signed by Your F.D.  It is always my guess which one sent it since each is a favorite for different reasons.  As I build this package to send back to Amy at college, I somehow feel slightly relieved that I found her copy. 

Oprah's book club selection and webcast

Worldcat



I am also sending her a book that I picked up at a garage sale called Supermarket Backpacker by Harriet Barker. Since she is now into camping and received a tent and sleeping bag for Christmas, she might find this collection of lightweight food ideas for those to choose to seach for the simple life with their homes on their backs.  Books out!  That makes two!

Worldcat

No comments:

Post a Comment