Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Getting my act together...


It is amazing how we quickly we can gather things in our home. Cookbooks and magazines entice at the newstand or at the checkstand in in the market.  When you read them and keep them for another day, they tend to nag at you...I often think that this week I will try one new recipe from those magazines.  Often, on a car trip, I resort to gathering them up and bringing them along, ripping merrily the things I want to go back to.  Then the file sits...Recipes to try...
Although I have great intentions, it becomes clutter that calls to me, over and over, until one day, I close my eyes, and toss them into the trash.  What a relief it gives.

This adventure of the year, allows me to take the time to evaluate just what I really need, and to share with others....a library, a friend, a family member, a stranger.  My middle daughter just told me that she is looking for a budget recipe book that also will have recipes she can use as a Weight Watcher.  These Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazines might inspire her...5 ingredients or less, great pictures, great variety.  Off they go!  I am also sending her a book I read years ago by Pam Young and Peggy Johnson called Get Your Act Together: A 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed. It is yellowed...but I remember being inspired by their story and have adopted so many of their ideas although I still feel at times overworked, overbooked and overwhelmed.  Pam and Peggy now have a great website called http://www.flylady.net/ that takes you by the hand and helps you learn to fly! 

Worldcat Everyday food
Worldcat Get your act together

1 comment: