Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Self-sufficient life and how to live it by John Seymour

Carol put this book in my box at work with a note that she thought I would enjoy it.  I had actually ordered the later edition so was happy to get this one for a quarter.  I read it on my return from Mammoth--a six hour drive.  It is a great reference book, John Seymour urges us to take a look at our mass consumerism and where our food comes from...a familiar refrain these days.  He speaks to me as an urban gardener with my flock of three chickens and my new addition to my vegetable gardens.  Food from the gardens, from animals and from the fields...from the wild...all of the taking or adoption as each of us can.  He also offers great layouts for the backyard garden, one acre farm or five acre farm. 

I like his explanations that range from rotating crops to milking goats and cows, and yes, even slaughtering animals if that is one's interest.  Not mine.  Herbs, vegetables, fruits...to storing and making brews, wines, pickles and energy.  As I progress down this road, I can open this book at any time to expand my knowledge.  A great reference for the farmer in each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment