Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chickens are thirteen weeks old

These chickens have brought so much joy, amusement and enjoyment into my life.  After work, I head out behind the garage to say hello to "the girls," and they always come running to see me.  They are funny little pets: independent, cautious, always curious, ravenous, and so loving when they give in to being held.  They have so many voices.  Janet claimes they are sayinig "it's mine, it's mine" whenever one finds a worm or bug and it is inevitable that they others have to have it too.  There is this incredible "one for all and all for one" symbiosis going on...most of the time. 

The dummies books are such great ways to learn just about anything.  They are presented in a systematic way, and they guide the reader step by step through a variety of subjects.  I don't think I have ever read one cover to cover, except maybe Myspace for dummies.  My kids told me NOT to let anyone under 30 see me reading that book but really, pimping out a Myspace page was never clear to me. 

For me, I pick up the dummies books and scan throught he chapters.  They are great reference books and the index guides the reader to what you need to know exactly when you need to know it.  It will remain on my shelf for a year or so, until I have mastered the art of raising chickens for pets and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment