Saturday, June 12, 2010

Does anyone else travel with so many books?



We were off to Mammoth Mountain for the weeked, a good 5 hour drive from Pasadena.  I am always baffled when I pile books into the car, as if no moment of idleness can be wasted without a book nearby. When I am caught waiting for someone...maybe Amy is late coming in from the southbound train... and I sit in the car for 30 minutes, I can't help but wish I had my book. 

Nevertheless. I head for Mammoth with California Roadtrip 395 and an old tattered copy of Ginny Clark's Guide to Highway 395:  Los Angeles to Reno.  I love having these books with me.  I can read about crazy Burro Schmidt and his tunnel to nowhere or check out again the story of Robber's Roost.  There is so much history of the wild west in the 19th and 20th century and I love to spin through the indexes as we race northward. 

An advantage of geocacheing with Jeff is that it takes us to places we never would have known; place like Fossil Falls and the Alabama Hills, Jawbone Canyon and the graves of the earthquake victims near Lone Pine where 26 people were killed in 1872.  Just today, we walked to the the Inyo Craters off the Mammoth scenic route and as we were drving out, an oncoming car flagged us down to find the way.  He asked how the craters were formed, and in my inimitable reference librarian way, I whipped out the guide and gave them the scientific explanation.  They nodded graciously as I explained that I was a Librarian.  I cannot help it.  I cannot live without my books and these two guides come with me everytime we head up highway 395.

No comments:

Post a Comment