Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sitting in the garden weeding gardening books...

This special Best of Sunset 2007 edition compiles (I assume) the garden makeover sections of Sunset magazine for the year.  I acquired it either at a garage sale or while waiting in line at the market.  Either way, it is worth another look before I give it away to my sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Laura and Eric.  They just purchased a new home with an awesome backyard and they are dreaming of the various things they can do to enhance their backyard living in Southern California.  This book gives the reader/gardener tons of ideas from from enhancing basic elements of borders and side yards to simple elements of gardens...then on to over the top gardenscapes and hardscapes (how about a Moorish outside room or a fountain or terrace?)  Still, in the inimitable style of Sunset, there is something for everyone...and certainly for Eric and Laura. 


The Outdoor Living Room...by Martha Baker.  I love Clarkson Potter books...and this one does not disappoint. Martha shares garden rooms she has visited...and categorizes them into modern, classic, rustic, in town, romantic, and whimsicle.  Yet as I peruse the pages a little more, everything seems too perfect.  I glance around my own outdoor yard to see my chickens in their makeshift run, I hear Jeff with the saw  in the background working on a more permanent solution for a run for these pet hens, Janet's cymbydium project is carefully strewn in an organized assembly fashion across the back fence...and Mitzie sauntering around pretending not to be interested in the chickens.  There is a light wind and I feel at peace...a far cry from an exquisite, untouchable garden from Manhattan or Vermont...or Marrakesh...  I can't help but wonder if the kids would love to play in a draped bed with luxurious fabric and pillows all around.  I resist the urge to tear out the pages with ideas I love...I will snap a digital picture to keep in my files and pass this on to Eric and Laura as well for their dream backyard.


365 Down to Earth Gardening Hints and Tips by Susan Mcclure and C.Colston Burrell, consultant.  Now, here is a book for Lissa or Amy, both beginning garden tenders.  I love browsing through gardening books but this one is just too basic.  I have been gardennng for 40 years or more...so that is why I can easily pass this one on.  The one thing I took from this book is various techniques for testing soil.  Now where is that test kit I purcases last year...or the year before? Sandy or clay...It would be good to know the pH!

No comments:

Post a Comment