Thursday, April 22, 2010

Keeping bees...

I wished I liked honey... There is no question that I would have had bees long ago.  They are fascinating creatures working in an intricate social network, communicating with each other, instinctively supporting the hive and their queen.

Fifteen years ago, I went to a Castle reunion and met Jeff's grand uncle Ed, a beekeeper from Bremerton, Washington.  We were out by his truck and he had some supers (bee boxes) in his truck.  We started chatting and he told me how he was moving his hives to follow the flowers.  He graciously gave me a jar of his honey.  I was intrigued.  Later, at the LA County Fair, I found myself drawn to the bee exhibits from the LA County.  Year after year, I would visit the exhibit and wonder at the box of bees...humming away doing what they do best.

And then Martha Stewart's segments on keeping bees made me start to consider it again.  I still have her segments on beekeeping on my Tivo and over the years, I watch it again and again.  I started with one book from Amazon called Beekeeping: a Practical Guide by Richard E. Bonney.  It was a good basic overview, but to tell you the truth, the idea of swarms and Africanized bees scared me away.  My interest waned.  Then for Christmas, Lissa gave me a book titled Natural Beekeeping:  Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture by Ross Conrad.  Quite extensive and dense.  Then last year, Mindy's friend recommended a book to me.  He was a beekeeper as a Boy Scout and he thought the best book on beekeeping was one that would be hard to find because it was out of print.  Franklin H. Carrier's Begin to Keep Bees made me feel that I could actually do this someday.  It is a "step-by-step guide for the beginning beekeeper" as the subtitle says, and it is exactly that.  I read it cover to cover.  Now if I only had more backyard space and was not concerned about all the children who come to swim each summer, all summer long.

Last week, my friend Jennifer called me from home to ask me if I wanted some beehives.  How tempting...but my concerns are still the same.  But I thought of my friend Jon who I know has shown interest.  I lent him my books last year...  I called Rona and she relayed the message...Ginger the bee lady and Jon are connected and Jon is considering it...  He is only two blocks away so the opportunity for me to learn along with him is perfect!  It is a good answer to my beekeeping desires!  And I can trade organic, homegrown eggs for honey! 


Los Angeles County Beekeepers’ Association

When: 1st Monday on the month
Jan. – dinner in Hollywood
Oct. – picnic
7:00 PM
Where: Mount Olive Lutheran Church
3561 Foothill Boulevard
La Cresenta, CA
Contact: Matt Reese
(626) 794-5626
Matt_Reese@ispwest.com
Club Activities: Los Angeles County Fair
Plant Fair – Fullerton Arboretum

No comments:

Post a Comment