Friday, April 2, 2010

A long overdue read...Isabel Allende and Daughter of Fortune

Another book on my bookshelf whose author I should have read. Allende. I chose three books for my long trip to and from Micronesia and this one was one that I did not want to put down. It is the story of three siblings: Rose, Jeremy, and John and their lives in Valparaiso, Chile. Their lives are altered when Rose adopts a young baby, who purportedly is left on their doorstep.

It becomes a story of women longing for love and adventure as Eliza runs away from home to seek her lover who has left for the Gold Rush in California. Eliza's life becomes entwined with Tao Ch'ien, a healer from China, as she emerges from her search as a young boy disguised to allow her to travel among the men of the Gold Rush.

Allende uses "magical realism" to weave this story that is filled with the richness of Allende's heritage as well as California history.

No comments:

Post a Comment