We all have gaps in our reading...and for Librarians and for me personally, it is always nice to fill in some of those gaps. Books we missed and books we should have read. I have never been a strong genre reader of mysteries or westerns, so when a friend of mine was talking about Zane Grey last Fall, I asked her to pick one for me to read.
Zane Grey was an eccentric personality who loved the wild west and strove to depict frontier and western life through his novels. He moved to Altadena in 1918 and is known in this area for his novels as well as his homes. He lived in a 1907 Mediterranean style house on Mariposa street as well as on Cataline Island.
30,000 on the hoof is a western saga of a fiercely independent man who with his pioneer woman head to the wilderness of Central Arizona to homestead land to fulfill his dream of raising cattle and living off the land. It is a story that I didn't think I would like but quickly found romantic in its innocence and sense of purpose. It was a quick satisfying read and surprisingly it was one I could relate to as I long for a simpler life away from the sights and sounds of the city.
Another California author read and a gap filled!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment