Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolution

It is a New Year and I am surrounded by books. Books in the kitchen, gracing the shelves in my living room, flopping over on the shelves in my bedroom, and stacked everywhere I look. All on bookshelves, waiting to be read or reread again.

I can't help it. I love books...and have spent my life as a librarian surrounded by them. I love the way they look, the tales they tell, the emotions they evoke. Generally, I am not a book saver...when I read a book, I now keep a record and then donate it to a library where I can visit it again if I feel the urge to reread a section. But somehow, the books I have selected for home or have been given, are crowding me and in a way, begging for me to spend time with them.

Resolution! I will not buy any more books this year and further resolve to spend the year reviewing the books I have in my home. Bookcase by bookcase, title by title, until I feel fulfilled that the books I have acquired, I have fully enjoyed. Once, twice, or three times...whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment